I just had to share one of the most amazing emails I just received from Lizzie, who has taken both our (Kim Jarman and I -- see the WORKSHOP link to the right for more info) beginner and intermediate workshops. It means the world to me (and I know Kim too) to hear that our attendees have had experiences like this and to know that in some small way, we made a difference. Thank you Lizzie, for taking the time to send this to us, and for sharing where you are now in your photography path!


On Mar 1, 2009, at 12:17 AM, Lizzie Kimball wrote:

Kim & Jen,
It's so hard to even start writing how thankful I am to have gotten to know you two and taken your beginner & intermediate workshops. Before I took your first beginners workshop in June, I was a lost soul. I had a passion for photography; I loved taking photographs and I had a vision of what I wanted to do, but I just couldn't. I'd shake my dSLR camera so hard from frustration; I had an expensive camera, I was convinced that was it: the camera would do the rest, right? Wrong. Tired and confused I went to the Beginners Workshop excited in hopes I'd learn how to make better images. You two advertised "how to make your images pop," and I wanted that pop. A few hours after the workshop, I was armed with so much knowledge about my camera that everything started to click as to why my images were not coming out how I wanted them to: I was using the wrong lenses, wasn't using my camera in manual (didn't even know where to start on that one), and didn't understand how much importance lies in those three magical settings: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Armed with the generous information you two shared and countless questions you answered. I went home, studied my Nikon owner's manual (now understanding what it meant when it referred to certain things), and viewed the slideshow presentation you emailed that you had covered that day at the workshop. I was ready to make a difference in my images. I had the tools, and with a few weeks of practice and patience, I conquered the camera meltdown. Between the months of June and November, I continued to practice the skills I learned at the Beginners Workshop. I was SO excited when the Intermediate Workshop in November rolled around because I understood how to use my camera in manual (the techy side) and I was ready to work on interacting with my clients and making the most out of any location (the creative side).

What I learned in this workshop will forever be held close to my heart: my world light up. Literally. I was introduced to a new concept that will forever change my photography. Light. With the live model shoot, I was able to focus on honing my creativity; by watching you two work I was able to see how you interacted with clients and what you would look for while on a photo shoot. After the shoot, you two were awesome in helping all of us edit our photos and sharing amazing tips about bringing out the color and depth in our images. I again learned so many amazing concepts that I couldn't wait to get home and practice working with light and other elements to take my images up to the next notch.

Since November, I have used all of the skills you have taught in countless ways. Every time I shoot I feel I improve and to this day have your advice running through my mind. Of course, I still view the presentations from the workshops from time to time to hone my knowledge and soak up as much information as I can. Your workshops only lasted a few hours, but what I have taken away will last me my entire lifetime.

I cannot believe how generous you two have been in sharing so many tips that have made you remarkable photographers and how friendly and willing you were to answer questions and help in any way possible. With the skills and tips I have learned at your workshops, I have improved my photography immensely and I honestly would not be anywhere close to where I am today without your guidance. Your knowledge has allowed my passion for photography grow to heights I didn't think possible, and I can only hope to someday to help someone as much as you two have helped me.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart,
Lizzie


That email really made my day. Thanks again Lizzie. If any of you others out there feel like you have had similar experiences we'd love to hear where you are now on your photography path!

Labels:

0 Comments For This Post ~ Add A New Comment...
 
 
     
ARCHIVES
September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009
  CATEGORIES
ALL
WEDDINGS
ENGAGEMENTS
PORTRAITS
ALBUMS
NEWS
PERSONAL
RESOURCES
CONTESTS
RSS FEED